Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 6 hours
- 4 Large Yellow Potatoes
- Approximately 2lbs bite-sized White or Brown mushrooms
- 2 Large Carrots
- 1 Medium red onion
- 3 cups veggie stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 TSP dried thyme leaves
- 3 TBSP tomato paste
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- Sea salt & fresh pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Pot Barley
- 2 TBSP Corn Starch
- Pour 2.5 cups veggie stock (not the bland unsalted stuff – the good stuff) into your slow cooker.
- Add 1/2 cup red wine.
- Add 4 cloves minced garlic.
- Add 3 TSP dried thyme leaves.
- Add 3 TBSP tomato paste.
- Add 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce.
- Grind some sea salt & fresh pepper into the liquid. A couple palm-fulls of each.
- Rinse and stir in 1/4 cup Pot Barley, blending all the ingredients thus far.
- Chop all vegetables into single-bite pieces (no need for knives when served). Mushrooms can be left whole, stems in, if they are not too large (they shrink a bit). Cut into half or quarter if they’re large. Firm mushrooms are nicest.
- 2 Large Carrots (peeled)
- 4 Large Yellow Potatoes (peeled)
- Whole White or Brown Mushrooms, roughly twice the amount size-wise as the potatoes. Eyeball it. You can’t go wrong.
- 1 whole medium-sized red onion, peeled, cut in half, then into 1/8ths (like a pie). When you cut off the ends, try to leave enough to hold the onion together in the pot.
- Place each of those prepped veggies into the crock pot of liquid.
- Stir it all together to coat everything.
- Slow cook, covered on low for 5 hours. Do not stir.
- After 5 hours, whisk up 1/2 cup vegetable stock with 2 TBSP cornstarch in a separate bowl and pour evenly into hot crockpot. Again stir to coat / mix.
- Continue cooking, covered on low for 1 more hour. Do not stir.
Serve as is in pasta plates or other deep plates, with a fresh loaf of bread for dipping. For the kids, I boil a bit of pasta during the last 30 minutes of cooking so they can enjoy it with a side of noodles.